Saturday, April 27, 2013

Big Weekend

Well my Sissy had gave birth to her second yesterday! Yay her! We are going down to see her tomorrow for a few.
C25K W1D2 Update!!!
Legs hurt going in but I toughed it out and made it through the full 30 min. Got 1.80 miles in this time that is a whole tenth of a mile further in the same amount of time! I CAN DO THIS THANG!!!
OK so next lets talk food... To anyone banded or pre op if you dont have the
"Bandwagon Cookery" By Jean McMillan I strongly suggest you purchase it.
I got mine on Amazon but you can also find it on Jean's Blog also. She is a cook and also banded. So the recipes are good band recipes and in many she had listed ways to "adapt" to liquid stage or mushies stage. This cook book has saved me and given me variety in the dreaded liquid stage.
I am going to share with you my absolutely FAVORITE recipe right now I ate it all the way through liquids and now that I am in mushies still have it for lunch every day.

Chicken and White Bean Stew
1 lb Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp onion salt
1/2 tsp died oregano
2 tsp Olive oil
1/4 C chopped onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1/4 C Chopped roasted red pepper
1 can ( 15 oz) Great Northern or White Kidney Bean (rinsed and drained)
1/2 C Chicken Broth
2 Tblsp Lemon Juice
1 tsp Grated Lemon Zest ( optional)
1/4 C Italian Cheese and Herb Cooking Cream ( Philadelphia brand Cooking Cream)

Sprinkle Chicken w cumin, pepper, salt, and oregano, set aside

In a large non stick skillet, heat Olive oil over med-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 min stirring often.Add the Chicken and saute until the chicken is lightly browned on all sides, about 5 min.Add red peppers, beans, broth, lemon juice and lemon zest. Stir to combine and cover reduce heat to med- low and simmer for ten min. Remove cover and add the cooking cream a Tblsp at a time, stirring to melt the Cream and combine w the rest of the ingredients. When the sauce is smooth and creamy, remove the strew from the heat and serve.
6 serving
194 Cal 6 Fat Gm 20 protein gm 4 Fiber Gm

ok so the way I did this on Liquid was I put the Stew and added Chicken Broth in a blender and blended it to liquid consistency.. Now that I am on mushies I just blend the stew and add  just a splash of broth ( this makes it thicker than it was on liquid) I like the creamy soup consistency but that's me always have liked a cream soup over a chunky stew.

Even if you are not a WLS patient if you are looking for some healthy fresh new recipes pick up a copy of Jean's book its awesome


1 comment:

  1. Congrats Auntie! I'm definitely going to look into getting this cookbook! I'm getting tired of the same old thing.

    ReplyDelete